Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Robitussin and infertility

While going through my own infertility journey I had heard of other women taking Robitussin or any off-brand generic cough medicine containing the active ingredient guaifenesin.

Guaifenesin or more commonly known, Robitussin is used to help clear up congestion, loosen and thin mucus. You take it after you have a color change on your ovulation predictor kit and take the recommended dosage nightly until you get your period or even better a positive pregnancy test. *If you do decide to take Robitussin be sure to use the brand with the only active ingredient guaifenesin do not take it with the decongestant as it will counteract and dry everything up.

I don't know where someone thought of taking this medicine for infertility purposes, but I can attest to the fact that it does work. I don't know if it because of the Robitussin, but I remember the nurse at the fertility clinic commenting on the cervical mucus before my last IUI.

I would recommend this alternative for those of you looking for a last ditch effort or even in the beginning of your journey. It is an inexpensive way to help your body do what it is supposed to do.

Good luck!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope it helps.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Caneel said...

Bless your heart! I don't know if you've seen this site, but a friend and I co-own this site and I am the webmaster: http://lowprogesteroneinpregnancy.com

You're welcome to put it in your links if you think it is helpful.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I'm hoping that works for you. I know many women who have had success with that method. Mostly though they are women who have cystic fibrosis and their bodies produce abnormally thick, sticky mucus, and thinning it out with an expectorant like guafaneisin does help. You may to try Mucinex which has 600mg of guafaneisin instead of Robitussin which may have other ingredients you don't want in your system.

All the best,
Lauren

6:10 PM  
Blogger Michal said...

Good luck!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Nurse Betty L. Boop said...

The Mucinex works great! And there's no yucky after taste!

Love your blog!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home